So I was debating…do I post it? Do I not? I wasn’t sure because it wasn’t daylight outside and I want a better set up and photo…but whatever who cares about that, this was super good. Please note as well, I load up my plates for photos…or the image is zoomed in with a small bowl….not eating ginormous portions over here lol.
Anyways, today my friend and I went to Rothenburg (Germany) to pick some tulips…its cool because they have these flower fields, and you pick them yourself, and drop a few euros in the box. Its so much cheaper to do it this way, and the little kids have fun doing it too! So I got some yellow and red tulips, they are so pretty on my table for Easter!
So you know how you tell people about In-N-Out and they say “oh I have never been there” and your response is like “……….wait…….” as if its not real life because what American hasn’t been there? lol I kinda figured Chipotle was like that, especially because there are more locations than In-N-Out…there’s even a Chipotle in Frankfurt!! I was wrong, still not many people I talk to have been there. I think both situations should change. Anyway, Chipotle does a Barbacoa beef…no it is not traditional Mexican Barbacoa. It is slow cooked beef with some spices and chilies in adobo, etc. I don’t know for sure, but I just added what I thought would work best. It was soo good, not like Chipotle and a little more spicy, but we loved it. At Chipotle they do burrito bowls with rice, beans, meat etc….I took a different take and made a dressing-free salad with it! Try it, so simple and SO yummy!
chipotle barbacoa recipe
For the beef:
- 3 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of fat
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt (or table salt works, but the other is healthier)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 5 chili peppers in adobo sauce, plus 1 Tbsp adobo sauce
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- For the Avocado Mash:
- 1-1/2 ripe Avocado, seed and skin removed
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For the Corn Salsa:
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh Cilantro
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 can black beans
- 1 head lettuce, chopped
- 10 sliced black olives, or 1/2 small can
1. Mix up all the beef ingredients, except for the meat, in a blender, or large bowl with your emulsion blender, until everything is smooth.
2. Pour the blended sauce over your meat in the crock pot, and cook on the 6 hour setting.
3. Once your beef is almost done cooking, make the rest of your salad ingredients.
4. In a medium bowl, mash together the avocado ingredients with a fork, and set aside.
5. Heat a small sauce pan on medium heat, and add 1/2 cup of water with your corn kernels. Cook the corn for about 5 minutes until tender. You can use frozen corn if you want, it is easier.
6. Mix all your salsa ingredients together in another bowl and set aside.
7. Rinse out your pan you just cooked the corn in, and add your black beans. Cook these for about 8 minutes, then drain of all the liquid.
8. To make one serving, place your lettuce in a bowl, top with a large spoonful of olives, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/2 cup avocado, 3/4 cup salsa and 1 cup Barbacoa Beef.
- Recipe makes 5 servings
- Each serving has 16.4 net carbs
*I know this is more than normal, but you can make changes if you would like to make this lower in carbs, especially if you are in a low carb detox phase. Here are my recommendations:
- Removing the beans makes each serving 11.2 carbs
- Removing the corn makes each serving 12.8 carbs
- Removing the beans AND corn makes each serving 7.6 carbs
Thank you! Read more from theclutchguide.com